Altered sensation in between toes and have very high arches. Painful feet and numb toe. Cause?

Altered sensation in between my toes has gradually developed., I have very high arches, am very active and 70 yrs old. I have painful feet in general, arthritis-type in nature, helped somewhat by good arch inserts. why the toe numbness?
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be due to nerve compression.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam ,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I would say that the sensation between your toes cannot be explained by one diagnosis . There can be many reasons for this but still in you case any nerve compression due to spinal stenosis can result in this . It can be a starting of peripheral neuropathy .

Since you have multiple problems I would advise you to see a physician for this . A serum vitamin B12 level is essential . A nerve conduction velocity test is also required . Only after evaluation reason can be sorted. Till then a multivitamin supplement would be advisable .

Dr. Shruti