Alopecia is caused by what? Can't the causes be treated first?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Alopecia is caused by what? Drs always treat the symptoms of this disease, but I would like the cause treated? What can be some of the causes so that the cause can be corrected?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: Alopecia is caused by what? Can't the causes be treated first? 5 minutes later
His legs are now getting small scabs on them too and his hair continues to fall out when he combs his hair. The shots hurt him and he is refusing them.

As a responsible mother, I want to get to the bottom of this and fix the cause.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later

Hair loss in a young male is seen in many conditions like Systemic diseases, Poor Nutritional Status, Scalp infections like bacterial or fungal, Poor Care of Hair, Hormonal changes, etc. In males, a male pattern baldness is seen which is hereditary in nature.

If there is no systemic disease then nutritional deficiencies and scalp infections need to be ruled out before going for hormonal assays. Your dermatologist can guide you through the tests required.

Right now you can concentrate on his diet to provide him adequate nutrients for proper hair growth as under-
1) Iron - Prevents anemia and hair loss. Sources are Liver, eggs, fish, chicken, whole grains, XXXXXXX vegetables and dried fruits.
2) Silica - Strengthens hair and prevents hair loss. Sources are Seafood, rice, soybeans, XXXXXXX vegetables.
3) Sulfur - Main component to hair's structure. Sources are Onions, garlic, eggs, asparagus, meat, fish and dairy products.
4) Potassium - Regulates circulation and promotes healthy hair growth. Sources are Avocados, bananas, lima beans, brown rice, dates, figs, dried fruit, garlic, nuts, potatoes, raisins, yams and yogurt.
5) Vitamin C in oranges is an excellent supply of collagen, vital for hair growth, helps prevent hair loss and assists the body to absorb iron from protein sources such as meat.
6) Fish provides fatty acids, necessary for the maintenance of healthy.
7) Soybeans are useful as they contain large amounts of vitamin E and iron to help increased flow of blood to the scalp.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.