Alopecia, hair loss, stress. Treatment?

I have alopecia (I guess) because the hair on the top of my head has diminished to the point of seeing my scalp. I go through this year round but this year is much worse since the temperature has risen. I am outside working daily a a pet sitter/dog walker in a tropical climate where normally I would be working inside. I have avoided shampooing daily and do so every three days. Should I shampoo daily? I am also under a lot of stress being unemployed and have a $7500 deductible on my health insurance so I have to pinch pennies...please let me know what your ideas are to assist me. Thank You in advance, Noreen
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Frequent shampooing is not useful and good. Instead I advice to wash hair thrice a week with plain cold water.
Increased hair loss is a common problem. In most of the cases it happens due lack of care and proper nutrition. First you need to exclude conditions like seborrhoea, fungal infection ,etc which increase the hair fall. If there is any such problem it needs to be treated first.
You can follow some simple measures to help your hairs grow better -
1. Take a high protein diet. You can also apply raw egg on your hairs one hour before washing them for good lusture and to coverthe damaged parts.
2. Take iron and zinc supplements.
3. Avoid exposure to direct sun for long durations and hair straightening, hair dryers too.
4. Keep your hairs covered outdoors to avoid damage from dust , etc.
5. Take high doses of vitamin B6 and folic acid.
6. Stay away from stress and anxiety.
7. Scalp massage- A vigorous rubbing of the scalp with fingers (without shampoo) is one of the most effective method for the prevention and treatment of hair loss. The scalp should be rubbed vigorously till it starts to tingle with the heat. It will activate the sebaceous glands and energise the circulation of blood in the affected area, making the hair grow healthy.

Use herbal products rather than the shampoos available in the stores.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.