Allergy triggered by panic. Getting hives, difficulty in breathing. Any suggestion?

So I have no definite known allergens. Possibly almonds and shell fish- I was sucking on a XXXXXXX almond about a year about when my bottom lip swelled to triple its size (but I've seen had almonds accidentally in things and been fine?), and my throat was odd after a clam when I was young (but I think that may have been my mom overreacting).

Anyway, one of my big panic triggers is an allergic reaction. I just had an emotional talk with my bf and am feeling edgy. I tried to calm down by nibbling on some fries and then a cheese stick. The fries were left over from applebees, and I happened to think of how they say they can't guarantee no cross contamination with allergens (like shellfish, I was thinking).

Anyway, after the fries, I was eating the cheese stick, when suddenly I felt like the insider of my upper lip, right in the middle, was swelling. I thought I was crazy, but I stuck my tongue there and was certain I felt a bump swelling. I freaked and ran to the bathroom - I don't think it's noticeably swollen, but it feels like it is. Both lips now feel a little numb and tingly - I do know I'm very dehydrated at the moment.

I keep trying to calm down and relax. My panic makes it hard to breath, makes me pale, sometimes causes hives, so I don't know how to tell if it's panic or something I should be worried about...I'm so nervous. No allergy meds in the house.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Various dermatological conditions can be aggravated by stress and anxiety. So allergic dermatitis can be aggravated by anxiety.

Your panic may be responsible for aggravation of your skin problem.

I advise you to follow the undermentioned life style changes for reduction of stress.

1. Meditation, yoga, breathing exercises, etc will help.
2. Go for a walk. Recreational exercises will be of use.
3. Do not take the whole problem on yourself. After doing your part leave it to God.
4. Some times slowing down in life helps. Play with kids.
5. Do not try to be the best always.
6. Listen to music, do some gardening work...
7. Prey God.

Also avoid diet that is causing allergy.

Always keep a antihistaminic medication prescribed by your doctor for allergy to use them in case of allergy.

If the panic episodes persist despite life style changes then consult a psychiatrist for treatment.

Hope this helps.