Allergy affecting the nose and ears. Closed eustachian tube. Sensitive to loud noise. Will a child's scream affect the hearing?

ENT Specialist
hello doctor

I have a normal question!
I have had allergy in almost 5 years now, and now I've found some good allergy tablets for this, so it goes forward. My allergy affects my nose and my ears, and sometimes almost closes my eustachian tube. This leads to a very sensitive hearing, because my ear-drum does vibrate as well. High tones are very uncomfortable and almost hurt. As person Iam a muscian and I alwasys uses earplugs, so that’s not a problem in my normal life.

My question is I have a son who is 1 year and he has begun to scream very high and an extremt high tone, and this tone makes me very uncomfortable sometimes. My final question is.. -- is this XXXXXXX and can this affect my hearing in the fucture ? or can my ear just take this ?

Sincerely XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 hours later

Thank you posting your query.

1. Your child's crying and screaming will not affect your hearing in the future.

2. Hyperacusis (which means over-sensitivity to high tones in your case) is commonly seen in musicians.

3. This may be due to exposure to loud music over the years. Further testing of your hearing and acoustic reflexes may help diagnose the cause of your hyperacusis. I would suggest that you consult an otorhinolaryngologist for the same.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.