Allergies, nose bleeding, body pain. On claritin for allergies. Symptoms cause of concern?

My son is 6 years, 8 months old. He is a little below average is height and is average weight. He has allergies which we control with daily 5 mg dose of Claritin. Lately, he has been more tired than usual. I can tell because he will get red around his eyes. He has had nosebleeds in the past, but usually after sneezing. Within the last week, he has had two nosebleeds that just randomly appear. They never last more than 5 minutes. He has also complained a couple of times about a pain in his leg or hand that I considered to be "growing pains". My question is whether or not the constant fatigue and nosebleeds are nothing or if the symptoms are occurring at the same time if it could be something more serious.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
There are several possibilities in this case. These include:
a. A viral infection which can cause fever and fatigue. It is possible that the nosebleeds are only incidental and have been induced by trauma (including nose picking)
b. A possibility which needs to be ruled out is immune thrombocytopenia. In this condition, the body starts producing substances (called antibodies) which destroy the platelets which are responsible for stopping the bleeding when an area is injured.
To rule this out, a platelet count needs to be done for your son.
I would advise you to consult his paediatrician who can evaluate him completely and prescribe appropriate investigations.
As I believe that more information can help a physician arrive at an accurate diagnosis, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. Has he had any bleeding episodes before?
b. Does anyone in your or your husband's family have a history of a bleeding disorder?

Awaiting your reply.