Allergic to molds, ear, nose throat infection. Antibiotic usage safe?

I'm 26 years old. I have recently been prescribed 500mg amoxycilin tablets 3 times a day for an ear, nose and throat infection by a doctor. I'm worried about having an allergic reaction. I'm quite allergic to mold in general, would I have a reaction if I start taking the amoxycilin because it is technically made from mold? This fear has kept me from taking the antibiotics even though I need them.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later
You are allergic to molds it does not mean that you will be allergic to its products also. You can not avoid antibiotics when you are actually infected as this will lead to further complications later.
To find out if you are allergic to a particular antibiotic , you can ask for a dermal sensitivity test by injecting an extremely dilute dose subcutaneously.
You need to discuss the other antibiotic options that can be used like roxithromycin ( derived from a different group of fungi), levofloxacin or gatifloxacin ( synthetic fluoroquinolones), etc .with your treating physician.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.