Allergic to many food items, food gets stuck in small intestine. Had done Colonoscopy. How to get relief?

Hi doctor, I'm 38 and am allergic to wheat, rice, corn, sorghum, millet, sugar cane etc. I avoid dairy also. I've had a colonoscopy 7 years ago and I have lots of bends and turns in my small intestines that food gets trapped in. When I eat something like quinoa, that has a lot of fiber in it, it will get stuck in my small intestines. I've had some stool stuck in my small intestines for more than a week and cant get it out. It gets stuck in the same place, near my belly button. I've tried drinking lots of fluid, broths, eating fruits, etc. I was able to get some of it out but not all. It takes about an hour after I eat to feel the food get to the spot where it has stuck stools and then I bloat up and feel terrible while the foods are trying to get threw that area. What can I do to "clean" myself out without taking laxatives that have ingredients in them that I'm allergic too? There isnt anything in my colon, its in my small intestines. I'm thin and you can feel right where it is and my husband will massage that area and move stools through that way but it doesnt always work. My stools have been skinny and very long and pale colored. I did try a stool softner one time and it didnt work and it had ingredients in it that I was allergic too. How can I keep this from happening again, since it seems to happen all the time since my new diet that foods that contain lots of fiber and I'm drinking lots of water already.
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Gourdas Choudhuri 16 hours later

You have given a fairly clear description of your problem.

I understand that you have problem, perhaps narrowing of a portion of your small intestine is where the food gets stuck. Your large intestine seems OK. Due to this problem you are perhaps not able to eat and digest food adequately; hence your low weight.

I think you need to address your problem in 2 stages.
1. One is to get the intestines cleansed. The best agent is 'polyethylene glycol' that comes as a powder. This can be mixed with 2 litres of water and taken orally with plenty of water. It washes the food and other contents down. It can be done once, but I wouldn't advise you to do it on a regular basis.

2. The second aspect is to find out whether and where the narrowing is; and its cause.
A good test to answer this question is a contrast enhanced Computed Tomography (CT) enterography or enteroclysis. Your gastroenterologist doctor can guide you with this. If a structural problem is noted then it would be prudent to have it rectified so that you don't get troubled frequently.

As regards food, it is better to avoid fibrous items if there is a structural narrowing. Nutritious food taken as semi-solids or liquids should help as they may pass down easily, especially if taken in small amounts frequently.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of any further help.