Allergic to latex. Noticed swelling and itching on labia after using menstrual pad. Cause and cure?

I am allergic to latex. Apparently many menstrual pad products in the US have latex in them with no warnings. Discovered this through the internet after a few days of using a pad for my period, causing my labia and other tissue in the area to swell - a lot. Stopped using pads, washed gently, tried some desinex, which helped the pain. Now the swelling has gone down but the entire area is peeling, itching and has little fissures, which hurt. It hurts. It itches. It's peeling. It looks scary. Please help.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 14 minutes later
Hello dear, latex allergy is quite common. And true the companies don't mention it which must be done.

It is a contact dermatitis, it usually takes some time to relieve after you have stopped using the irritant product.

It's good you applied desinex but to control itching you must take some antihistamine like Pheniramine. This will cause bit sleepiness but will control the itch.

Contact dermatitis is not a worry, it will heal. The concern is that the fissured skin might be infected as there are lots of bacteria and fungi in that area.

I would strongly suggest you to XXXXXXX a dermatologist and get a culture for yeast be done. If itching is severe, a short course of oral steroid will also be helpful.

But please don't take steroid on your own. As if there is an infection, it will get aggravated.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Thank you