Allergic to dust mites, feel sick, swollen ankles, joints pain and skin hurts. Suggest?

Dec 2013

My allergy to the dust mites and my house is getting so much worse I have an appointment to see the dermatologist on the 17th but can't wait should I go to the ER? I feel so sick I can't eat anything and my ankles are swollen like baseballs and all my joints and skin hurts so bad. my boyfriend who lives here without pain doesn't even hurt yeah he's been mean to meand I have the Son here with PTSD who hides in his room. I don't have any clean clothes or sheets left.
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly go through the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern for the problem of allergy to dust mites with joint swelling as well as problem of your son.

Regarding your dust mite concern as well as swelling over joints I have gone through the history provided by you and thoroughly seen the pictures. I can very well make out the high grade of swelling of the ankles.

Now regarding your skin concern the best way to protect you from dust mites is to avoid the exposure. I can understand that this is sometimes quite difficult but as we know “prevention is the best cure" so in your case too as well as in any other case of allergy our best approach remains to tell and guide the patient regarding protection from the exposure f the same.

Now because of your son’s problem you are not able to take care of hygiene and wash the clothes so the best way is to give sun exposure to all clothing, sheets and other garments for at least 4- 6 hours. This gives the best sterilization technique without much of the efforts.

Other of the measures are :

1. At red areas and areas of itching do cold compression over the affected area. Take a wet towel soaked in cold water and apply it for 5-10 minutes for 3-4 times a day.

2. Wear cotton clothes and avoid synthetic clothes.

3. Stay in cool environment (preferably AC) and avoid sweating.

4. Take two time bath once in morning and at night time which will soothe your skin and prevent the aggravation of the problem

5. Do not Pinch pop or squeeze or rub any area.

6. Do not use any deodorants or any cosmetics over and near the affected area.

For the part of treatment for dust mite allergy kindly follow the suggestions below:

1. Apply over the counter available calamine lotion on the affected area in day and afternoon time. Apply it in very thin layer.

2. Apply plane Mometasone/ Fluticasone/ Hydrocortisone cream in a thin layer in morning and at night time. Apply in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible to naked eye. You can apply it for 7 days and then stop it after that.

3. If there is any irritation or itching is present then can take tablet “Loratadine” or "Deslotatadine" or “Levocetrizine” tablet by mouth for two times and can be taken up to three to four times also if the itching is more. If there is no itching then there is no need to take this medication.

For the part of ankle swelling kindly do not stand for long time. As long time standing can causes pooling of blood to the lower legs and ultimately swelling of ankles increasing with the progression of day. At night time use two pillows under your legs for over night or you can slightly raise the foot end of bed. This will reduce the swelling. This swelling can also be due to protein deficiency or increase in weight. So kindly increase your protein intake as well reduce your weight also.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)