Allergic to dust and sneezing. Can breathe through only one side of the nose. Bridge of nose is slightly slanted. Suggest the right treatment?

ENT Specialist
Dear Doctor,
I am 39 years old. I am allergic to dust, and often end up sneezing the moment I get in contact with dust from clothes, files etc. This has been there ever since I was 13 years old. I can breathe only through one side of the nose (sometimes left or sometimes right) which keeps changing and off late another person can hear my breathing sound. At night especially I face a lot of difficulty since my nose is blocked and needs to keep my pillow high to help breathing. In a recent medical check up held in my office, I mentioned my problem, and on checking I was told that the bridge of my nose is slightly slanted and that is causing the block, he also advised that there is no major problem as such , but if it is causing me any diffiulty then may be surgery would help. Can I have your advise doctor on this. Other than surgery will medicines be effective?
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 24 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Allergy to dust is a specific inorganic allergy which is difficult to avoid.

2. The allergic response arises from the mucosa (inner lining) of the nose and sinuses. After years of chronic allergy and inflammation, the nasal lining may thicken, leading to a nasal blockage and obstruction.

3. Nasal obstruction that changes sides is typically seen in cases of nasal turbinate hypertrophy (enlargement).

4. Get a plain CT Scan of the Nose and Para Nasal Sinuses done on a multi-slice CT Machine. This Scan should be doe before and after decongestion with Ortivin Nasal drops. Let me know the effect of these nasal drops (which should not be used for more than two weeks) and upload the images of the Scan. I will then be able to guide you better regarding the effectiveness of any surgery, especially Radio-frequency ablation of the nasal turbinates. If there are any nasal endoscopic images, upload them too.

5. I am assuming that you have been given an adequate trial of medication. Your snoring at night may also be due to this nasal obstruction.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.