Allergic to clindamycin and penicillin. Is levofloxacin used in treating ANUG?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I would like to know if levofloxacin is a correct antibiotic treatment for anug? I am allergic to clindamycin and penecillen. My dentist prescribed clindamycin and I broke out in a red rash for which I was treated at urgent care, who then suggested levofloxacin, 500 mg, 1 x a day, but suggested I wait till the rash cleared up (being treated with prednisone)
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 minutes later
ANUG or trench mouth generally is caused by anaerobic bacteria and spirochetes.
As a substitute of Clindamycin, Levofloxacin is a good option as it is an effective and well tolerated broad spectrum antibiotic with lower potential for allergic reactions. You can safely go ahead with the treatment prescribed to you after the allergic reaction subsides.
On your next appointment with dentist, you can also ask for a good antibiotic against the anaerobic flora of your mouth.
A few general measures can help in early recovery and avoid recurrences-
1) Practice good oral hygiene. Do not forget to brush and floss your teeth at least twice a day and especially after every meal. Visit your dentist every 6 months for regular dental cleanings.
2) Don't smoke or use other tobacco products. Tobacco products are a leading factor in the development of trench mouth.
3) Eat a healthy diet. Include plenty of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low-fat dairy foods.
4) Reduce stress. Learn some relaxation techniques and exercise.
Acute Necrotizing Ulcerative Gingivitis is a severe but easily preventable disease, if you follow a proper daily oral hygiene routine.
I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Allergic to clindamycin and penicillin. Is levofloxacin used in treating ANUG? 33 minutes later
I am in pain from the anug, the allergic rash is subsiding but not completely gone, I still have today and four more days remaining on the prednisone taper pack. Is it ok to start the levofloxacin tonight at bedtime?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If the allergic rash has subsided then you can start with levofloxacin and have a mild pain killer like acetaminophen (if you are not allergic to it) for symptomatic relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.