Allergic to cipro/ sulphur drugs/ macrobid. Can biaxin be taken?

My mother is allergic to cipro/ sulphur drugs/ macrobid. Can she take biaxin? She is also on simvastatin and has a pacemaker. I am worried about drug interactions. And heart issues.
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: there is a potential interaction Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Biaxin is the trade name for clarithromycin. It belongs in the family of drugs called macrolides. Macrobid, sulphur drugs such as septrin and sulfamethoxazole and ciprofloxacin belong to families are medication that is different from biaxin. This means that her allergy to these drugs would not imply that she is also allergic to biaxin. From this point of view she can use it. However there is a risk of severe interaction between simvastatin and biaxin. Using biaxin with simvastatin can significantly result in increased level of simvastatin in the blood because the antibiotic affects the break down of this drug. They should actually not be used together. Her doctor may actually consider temporarily discontinuing the simvastatin while the antibiotic is used. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Allergic to cipro/ sulphur drugs/ macrobid. Can biaxin be taken? 1 hour later
Thank mom also suffers from sarcoidosis and her new XXXXXXX monologist hears crackles which she is ttributing to pneumonia..but couldn't It be from the sarcoidosis? I just feel like she has been on so many antibiotics which I feel is not a good thing..can you shed any light on the sarcoidosis issue? Pulmonologist. So much for auto correct
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: more likely pneumonia Detailed Answer: HI Your concern is understandable. It is more likely related to pneumonia particularly if the sounds are new. 30 to 60% of persons with lung sarcoidosis do not have any related symptoms and crackles are found in less than 20% even when there is a lot of related lung scarring. Because of the sarcoidosis , it would be best to treat any co existing infection which can worsen lung function