Allergic reaction,swollen earlobe,red,painful,lymph nodes

I have what I believe to be an allergic reaction to wearing a nickel earring in my right earlobe. My earlobe is swollen, red and painful, and now the pain has spread to what I believe is my lymph nodes- my upper neck hurt, and I have a painful spot right below my earlobe (including a lump). Does this need urgent medical attention? I am about to go to sleep, so can this wait until the morning?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 34 minutes later

Your swelling in the ear seems to be a infection rather than a allergic reaction.

There is possibility of developing abscess if left untreated.

This may or may not have been caused by the ear ring.

The infection could have spread to other parts and caused swollen lymph nodes. You need to seek medical attention as soon as possible. If you develop fever its not a good sign.

I suggest that you see a doctor soon. Now if possible or at least in the morning.

You will need antibiotics for sure, and if there is an abscess then it needs to be drained.