Allergic reaction to prescription cholesterol medicine, painful. Doctor suggested to wait it out. Thoughts?

My 75 y/old mother is having an allergic reaction to a prescription cholesterol medicine. All of the major symptoms... pain etc. When she calls (2 times now) to ask her medication yesterday a.m.. Thoughts here.....
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rudramani Swami 2 hours later

Cholesterol lowering agent is known to cause myalgia (body aches). In addition, rhabdomyolysis is a known side effect of cholesterol lowering agents - it is a serious concern; though rare.

So in this circumstances where your mother has severe body pain following use of cholesterol lowering agent, we need to rule out this possibility. I advise her to visit the ER as soon as possible. We need to check her serum creatinine phosphokinase (CPK) as well as renal function, urine routine and microscopy for myoglobin.

In the mean time encourage her to drink plenty of fluids.

I do not intend to create a panic here. But do understand the seriousness of this concern and encourage her to visit the ER.

I hope I have answered your query, feel free to ask further queries if any.