Allergic reaction to bee stings. Prescribed with Celestamine. Is Hayleve better medication?

Question
I have a bad allergic reaction to bee stings, and was always prescribed Celestamine previously .I have been told by my current doctor that an over the counter Anti Histamine should be fine to use instead. She suggested Hayleve (active ingredient Chlorophenamine Maleate). I will be in Cambodia for a month - far away from medical facilities -and would like to know if this is safe to take instead of Celestamine.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Puneet Oberoi 36 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Well to begin with the only difference between the two medications is that in Celestamine there is betamethasone, which has anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive properties, and also the other ingredient is dexchlorpheniramine maleate.

In your new medication you have chlorphenamine maleate as its active ingredient, which is a strong anti allergic.

Now in your particular case where you have a history of allergic reaction to bee sting, both the medications are equally effective and are just different class of drugs with basically the same action, in other words its completely safe for you to switch your medication to Hayleve.

There is nothing to worry about,
I will be available to answer your follow up queries as well.
Have a nice trip
D.Puneet Oberoi