Allergic reaction, ibuprofen, facial swelling, redness, treatment with benadryl

I am having an allergic reaction to Ibprofun that is causing facial swelling and redness. I have taken a benadryl to relieve it. Is there anything else I need to do or should do short of going to clinic? I'm not experiencing any intestinal issues and I don't feel sick.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

First off we should make sure it is the ibuprofen that you are reacting to and not something else such as some kind of food or soap or cream. If it truly appears to be the ibuprofen you can continue benadryl every 4 to 6 hours.

I would also advise you maintain good fluid hydration with water for the next 48 hours. If you are experiencing any fullness in throat or difficulty with breathing then you should proceed to te clinic more immediately. Occasionally it may be necessary to treat this type of allergy with a steroid medication or prescription antihistamine. For now benadryl 25 to 50 milligrams every 4 to 6 hours should mitigate the allergy.

I hope I have adequately answered your query. I am available for your followups.