Alcoholism, vomiting and hallucination after self-detoxification. Is the grey fluid coming from the brain?

My partner has been batteling serious alcoholism. He self-detoxed again last weekend. He is 55 and his self-detoxing is getting more severe. This last time, with the 18 hours of vomiting and 30 hours of long halusinations.... as if he is completely conscious during a dream.... like the brain is dreaming as if he is asleep, but he is completely awake.... (like the unconscious brain and the conscious brain are crossing).....additionally I found a significant amount of thin grey fluid on is bed pillow and his right ear had a significant amount of the fluid in the lobe pockets and creases. I have tried relentlessly to get him to the hospital but he strongly refuses. Is the grey fluid coming from the brain-fluid?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later

Alcohol addiction is a social evil, that causes a lot of strain on the family involved and results in disruption of lives of many associated.

I understand that it is a very difficult situation for you.

The grey fluid that you have noticed on his pillow and ear lobe is not likely to be the brain fluid, as no such leakage from brain is expected during de- addiction. It is most likely to be associated with a middle ear infection.

An examination by an ENT specialist will help in making a diagnosis.

Treatment involves taking systemic antibiotics according to the type of infection. You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from his ENT specialist after confirming the cause.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.