Alcoholic and type two diabetic. What does the blood result indicate?

Apr 2014

Hi I am a white 47 year old male alcoholic in recovery for 7 months. My latest blood results show my Gamma GT level at 123 and my SGOT at 14 with my SGPT at 18. In addition I am a type two diabetic with my Hb A1C at 7.3. I also take phenytoin Sulphate daily. I have a BMI of 21. should I consider myself in good health at this point in time? I also attend regular AA meetings as well as a 2 weekly aftercare follow up. My intention is not to drink at all going forward what would be your opinion on the above?
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are in good health at present.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

It is excellent that you have quit drinking and leading normal life.
Yes,you are in good health at present.
Your blood parameters are normal in limit except GGT.It may be increased due to phenytoin intake in your case. Phenytoin increases GGT level.
Other parameters like SGOT and SGPT is normal.
BMI is also within normal limit.
HbA1C is mildly increased.It is due to diabetes mellitus.You goal should be to keep it below 7.0

Get well soon.
Hope i have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care