Alcoholic. Test showed high Gamma GT value. How long after quitting drinking it will be normal?

General Surgeon
Dear Sir, during my last bloodtest I found out that my Gamma GT value is high. It has been okay during the last years annual check ups however I must admit that I have been drinking quite a lot during this year. Currently I stopped alkohol alltogether. How long can I expect to be back within the normal range. I feel otherwise very well and do lots of Sport.
Thanks a lot for your advise,

My email address is YYYY@YYYY
PS may I ask what do you want me to review?

Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

GGTP increased level (above 100) means that there is some problem with bile ducts. This protein gets increased when this ducts gets obstructed. The most common reason of such obstruction are gall stones which has migrated to the bile ducts. Other reasons for GGTP increase is liver cirrhosis, liver cancer, pancreas cancer. As you have HBV and HAV infection liver diseases are quite possible.
It is advisable for you to have abdominal ultrasound, full blood work with amylase level, AP level, bilirubin level.
If you do have already this tests performed please attach results. And it would be great knowing if you do suffer from any abdominal pain, skin rash, whitish stool, dark urine.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Alcoholic. Test showed high Gamma GT value. How long after quitting drinking it will be normal? 36 minutes later

Dear Dr. Stanko, thanks for your answer. As to your question, I neither have any abdominal pain, nor a skin rash. My stool is sold and brown and the Urin either no color or slightly yellow. I believe my problem was excessive alkohol consumption which now I stopped from one day to the other since 3 weeks. When do you suggest to repeat a blood test and how long could it take to have relative normal values again? My current GT value is 600 and the Triglyceride are also higher than normal.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Excessive alcohol intake would also cause AST and ASLT significant increase. And your GGTP level would be around 100, not 600. Such result means that something with your liver or bile ducts is wrong.I suggest you to have mentioned tests performed, especially abdominal ultrasound, pancreas tests and bilirubin tests.
The time for liver cell to regenerate is about 3 weeks to 3 months, so you can have your GGTP level repeated in a month or so.

Hope this will help.