Alcoholic. Stated feeling twitchy after drinking. What should I do?

I drink at least 8 units a day and last night had a party with at least 20 units. I am now twitchy should I have a drink or ride it out till i seek help in the morning to give up
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
It seems you are drinks way too much. First of all I would suggest you to "ride it out", and don't drink no more today. If you start developing tremors, sweaty, have palpitations, it means that you could be going into withdrawals from alcohol (your body gets used to having alcohol in the blood, and when you abruptly stop you can feel very sick and go into alcohol withdrawals).
At this pace you will probably end up with alcoholic cirrhosis, which means that at some point your liver will start failing bringing a lot of miserable health problems, that are avoidable by just stop drinking. I suggest you seeking help, as it is usually not easy to give up drinking. Alcoholic Anonymous is a great resource.
Follow-up: Alcoholic. Stated feeling twitchy after drinking. What should I do? 17 hours later
Hi There,

Thanks for this. I have stopped and I am lucky the withdrawls are not to bad. Just tired and fed up. You are correct the amounts I am having are obviously to much and understand the implications. How long does it take for a liver to regenerate? Also are there any tests I can have to check all is clear?
The liver can regenerate fairly quickly (approximately 1-6 months), but it depends on the amount of damage (scarring). Cirrhosis is not reversible. You can be checked by your Liver function tests, coagulation studies (the liver produces clotting factors), platelets, and an abdominal ultrasound.