Alcoholic. Have hbp, high cholesterol, sweating and shaking hands. What treatment is required?

whats wrong with meIm 36, 160 lbs, im an alcoholic, and i was just
diagnosed with high blood pressure, and high cholesterol, im sweating and my hands are shaking, i can barely get out of bed!! I need help
Posted Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 51 minutes later
The high blood pressure, excessive sweating and shaking are the symptoms of sympathetic nervous system overactivity. Those who use alcohol on a regular basis are likely to experience these symptoms when away from alcohol for few hours-days. This is called as alcohol withdrawal syndrome. If you have suddenly stopped alcohol after using it for long then I would consider this diagnosis.
Apart from that excessive thyroid hormone (hyperthyroidism) can also present with similar symptoms and thyroid function testing will give the answer.
Another possibility, again in relation to alcoholism, is that of thiamine deficiency which can cause such symptoms because of heart failure.
High cholesterol is likely to be an independent thing not related to current symptoms.
Hope that answers your query. If there are more questions I will be happy to answer.
Good luck.