Alcoholic. Have had abdominal discomfort. Could it be related to liver problem?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I'm a 38 year old male. Over a year ago, I had some abdominal discomfort. I went to my PCP, and advised him that I thought I had probably been drinking too much alcohol over the last few years and I was worried about my liver. We did bloodwork and an ultrasound and both were fine. Fast forward a few months, same issues, bloodwork had elevated AST and ALT levels, ultrasound was fine, a week later the enzyme levels had normalized. The PCP was unconcerned, but I sought out the opinion of a hepatologist, who also wasn't concerned. Nevertheless, I didn't drink alcohol for 1 year, which got me to 4 days ago. I went out with some friends for some drinks for first time in year, had more than I should and got sick. I have had mild abdominal discomfort in the upper right quadrant for the last 4 days. I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist next week, but was wondering in the interim if you thought this discomfort was (or could be) related to the liver after this one night of drinking after one year? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 8 hours later
Thanks for posting your query
Considering the fact that you had elevated LFT earlier it is better you avoid alcohol
Alcohol liver disease is an ongoing chronic process , if there is no damage to parenchyma you are lucky and stop alcohol
Regarding the discomfort it could be acute gastritis and or alcoholic hepatitis
Go for a fresh liver function test
In the mean time take a rabeprazole capsule twice a day
Hope this helps
Do write back in case of doubts
Wishing you a healthy life ahead