Alcoholic. Have elevated SGPT level. How to reduce this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
Dear Doc...I do consume alcohol at least 4 days per week. Quantity around 200-250ml per day. My SGPT level is 140. Any suggestion/medicine that you would give/prescribe to reduce the SGPT level after having a drink.. Thanks. XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 40 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Do you have yellow discoloration of eyes and urine/ nausea or vomiting/ abdominal pain/ fever/ and loss of appetite?
Do you have itching in body/ clay colored stools?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be daily alcohol intake damage to liver.
Alcohol damage occurs in four stages:
1) Fatty liver- reversible with stoppage of alcohol
2) Alcoholic hepatitis- also reversible with alcohol stoppage
3) Cirrhosis or chronic liver disease- irreversible
4) Hepatocellular carcinoma: irreversible and last stage.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ hepatologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, ultrasound imaging studies, gamma glutamyl transferase, serum electrolytes.

Liver is a very tolerable organ of body and it doesn't show any disturbances in blood reports until unless major amount gets damaged.

Alcohol intake abstinence is the only cure to correct SGPT disturbances.
Although its very difficult to leave alcohol suddenly but you should try to get rid off.
You can consult with psychiatrist for alcohol abstinence.

Meanwhile, you should take ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg BD, multivitamins, and normal healthy diet for getting correction of SGPT.
You should take it on written prescription.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Alcoholic. Have elevated SGPT level. How to reduce this? 15 hours later
Dear Doc...
Thanks for the reply...
I don't have any of the following...
Yellow discoloration of eyes and urine/ nausea or vomiting/ abdominal pain/ fever/ and loss of appetite?
Itching in body/ clay colored stools. Just only the SGPT is around 140 plus the blood pressure around 140/85 in normal hours. SGPT goes down to 80 when alcohol is stopped for about 2 weeks. Was interested to know if this could be neutralized with medicine while on alcohol for 4-5 days per week. You have prescribed ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg BD, multivitamins. How often should this be taken.
LAB TEST REPORTS - 12-10-2012
---------------------------------
ALL MG/DL
-------------
GLUCOSE FASTING - 87
TOTAL CHOLESTEROL - 173
TRIGLYCERIDE 70
HDL 49
LDL - 110
VLDL - 14 ( WHAT IS THIS ???? )
CHOL/HDL RATION 3.5 ( WHAT IS THIS )

CRP - 2.1 MG/L

TOTAL PROTEIN - 7.9 G/DL
ALBUMIN - 4.4 G/DL
GLOBULIN - 3.5 G/DL
A/G RATIO 1.3
TOTAL BILIRUBIN 0.80 MG/DL
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE - 84 U/L
SGPT 143
SGOT 56
GGT - 58

May I have your comments based on the above results please...

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Your Lipid profile report is also normal and as such there is no need of any statins.
Treatment of lipid disorder is decided by LDL and it is normal range.
VLDL is secreted by liver and it also should be within normal range.

Liver function test showed derangement of liver enzymes with normal protein synthesis.

Its very difficult to predict liver response if take medicines along with alcohol.
Its better to withdraw alcohol with your inner will.

There is high possibility of fatty liver in your case and continuing alcohol may cause further damage.

Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Alcoholic. Have elevated SGPT level. How to reduce this? 1 hour later
Dear Doc...

Thanks for your advise...

How do I check if I have a fatty liver. Also do I need to take ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg BD, multivitamins. Thanks !

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 5 minutes later
You have to go for ultrasound imaging studies of liver.
Bright echotexture suggests the fatty liver.
Get well soon,
Hope for a better future.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Alcoholic. Have elevated SGPT level. How to reduce this? 21 minutes later
Thanks doc...shall come back with reports...Also do I need to take medication for BP....Sorry for so many questions...

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 hours later
Just observe your blood pressure in coming days.
High blood pressure once in a while doesn't indicate need of any medication for blood pressure.
If blood pressure is found to be raised on each and every time, then only you should take medication.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Alcoholic. Have elevated SGPT level. How to reduce this? 19 minutes later
Many thanks doc...

Ok Dear,
Dr. XXXXXXX Bhargava