Alcoholic. Given mirtazapine. Alternate drug to with less side effects?

Sep 2013

My son is an alcoholic and he was given mirtazapine to control his drinking. is there another drug with less side affects that he could take?
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 1 hour later
Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum.

Mirtazapine is an antidepressant medicines and in my opinion, not good for alcoholic addiction.
Side effects are many.
Since he is chronic alcoholic and in my opinion consult a psychiatrist and get in an admission in de-addiction center (rehabilitation center).
In chronic alcoholism first of all detoxification is necessary at least for first 5-10 days.
For detoxification admission is necessary in center.
Sudden withdrawal syndrome develops,
•     delirium,
•     seizures ( convulsions),
•     hallucination.

Usually some doctors prescribe an antidepressant drug but proper withdrawal treatment is important.
If he use very less amount of alcohol and from few months, you can use lorazepam drugs in dose tapering manners.
Nowadays baclofen 30 mg is also prescribed for alcoholics.

Consult a psychiatrist for this treatment.
Hope I have answered your question.
If further any question I will help.
Good wishes for your son.