Alcoholic. Concern related to normal liver enzymes in spite its increase size

I was tested for high liver enzymes in 2010 i then kept drinking now i went to the doctor in 2012 and enzymes are normal why is this ? i can feel my liver is enlarged but cant quit what to do im scared
Posted Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     49 year old male
•     Known case of alcohol dependent syndrome
•     Concern related to normal liver enzymes in spite its increase size.

Following liver function are monitered to see damage related to alcohol use:
-Serum bilirubin
-Enzymes like SGPT, SGOT and GGT

SGPT and SGOT show extent of liver damage. GGT is more related to recent alcohol use.

Normal range for SGPT (ALT) 10-40, SGOT (AST) 10-35. From your reports it is clear that enzymes are not elevated. ALT and AST elevate in presence of parenchymal damage because of alcohol use and they return in normal range after stoppage of alcohol or severe damage to liver.

Currently following steps will help you:
-Repeat your liver function test: To eliminate lab errors, which is common sometimes.
-Have Ultrasound of abdomen to see extent of liver enlargement and damage
-Irrespective of extent of liver damage quit alcohol. You can take help of psychiatrist.
-You may need help of gastroenterologist if there is liver damage in above tests.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal