Ask a Dentist   »  

After using retainers had pain. Face and neck was swollen but do not feel any lumps. Cause?

I've tried to put on my retainers yesterday night before i sleep and it was hurting a lot as I'v not put it on for months. But I just wear them on for a night and this morning, I've noticed that the bottom right side of my face was slightly swollen and on my right neck too. The swelling is not very obvious unless really really close observation. I've tried to feel the right side of my neck and I am pretty sure that I did not feel for any lumps. Just felt slightly sore. May I know whats the cause of it? Thanks!
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 6 days later
Brief Answer:
Lymph node inflammation

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query. Given the location and the description of the symptoms, as well as the recent reintroduction of the retainer, the most likely explanation would be that of inflammation of lymph nodes from that side of the face/neck, probably related to irritation/pain with the retainer; whenever there is inflammation in the mouth, gums, tongue, throat, etc, inflammatory substances increase activity of cells in the lymph nodes, causing enlargement and sometimes even pain. An analgesic/antiinflammatory such as ibuprofen should provide relief.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN