After urinating noticed worm looking creature. What could it be?

After urinating I noticed this very small worm looking creature swimming in the toilet. I am unsure if it was there before or of it was excreted from my body. The idea of organisms living inside of me is horrifying. Can you identify this creature as well as the liklihood it came from my body? Shall I take a precautionary round of medication to treat parasites? Are there negative side effects to such medication?
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 46 minutes later
Hello and thank you for the question.

It is incredibly unlikely that this came from the urinary tract. Given the non-itchy rash around the rectum, I am suspecting that this came from your GI tract. There are a number of intestinal parasites, some of which are very common.

The best way to identifiy this is to ask your doctor if you can take this in to your hospital lab. They could try to make an identification. At the same time, it might be a good idea to drop off a urine and stool sample - you can ask them specifically how this can be collected.

This would be the best course of action - good luck to you!