After unprotected sex had sinus and watery eyes. Had prostate infection, burning penile. All test normal, prescribed Cipro

Excellent

Question
I had a somewhat risky sexual encounter. one month later i had a terrible sinus cold sneezing runny nose watery eyes . I didnt think much about it untill 2 months later I came down with a prostate infection ,burning in penile tip sore alternating testicals and thigh pain. Went to a doctor and was told prostatisis urine sample and culture came back clean. I was prescribed cipro for two weeks and sti medication one dose 5 pills just in case. The cipro worked a bit but im now at work and sitting and laying in bed seem to flare it up also I am getting headaces. this really scares me as ive been reading alot that hiv and prostatsis are common together is this true?
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Go for Testing

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking.

HIV is caused by a virus, which can be easily detected by blood tests.It can present with multiple symptoms so a single symptom can not be attributed to HIV.

Please go for testing of HIV, along with other sexually transmitted diseases like Hepatitis B and C, Chlamydia, Gonorrhea .

Also recheck for HIV, if negative in 8-12 weeks , as in window period it can be falsely negative.

Thanks.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Follow-up: After unprotected sex had sinus and watery eyes. Had prostate infection, burning penile. All test normal, prescribed Cipro 24 minutes later
I was checked for sti and took medication for it. What is the probability that hiv would cause prostatis and headache? does my head cold fall into the symptom category. I am at work away and waiting to go home to get checked but I am really scared.

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 2 minutes later
Chances are very low as you have already been tested negative.

Still redo the HIV in 12 weeks from exposure.

Follow-up: After unprotected sex had sinus and watery eyes. Had prostate infection, burning penile. All test normal, prescribed Cipro 13 minutes later
I was not tested for HIV just urine test. I want to know if my symptoms are common for infection of hiv please. I will get tested the minute i can.

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Very Hard to say

Detailed Answer:
HIV as such do not have any set pattern of symptoms.No symptom can be considered pathogonomic of HIV, although lot of people will experience weight loss, diarrhoea, and lymphadenopathy.

Prostatitis as a presenting symptom of HIV is not a common occurrence.

Thanks.

Thank you for the clarification. I have also read that sneezing and a runny nose are not related to ars. Is that accurate? Also these headaches strated about two days after starting cipro. I had one bad one on the second day and then one more around a week and a half in. I am now expieriencing mild almost pressure that comes and goes in my head through out the day. If I take asprin they dont happen and my prostate symptoms dont tend to bug me either. I have to sit alot at work and thats when these problems tend to arrise not when I am up and walking around. I have been off Cipro for 4 days now could this be a lingering symptom the headaches or is it common for prostatisis to cause headaches as well.

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Generalised Symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Prostatitis is a inflammation of the prostate gland and the headache and generalised symptoms are usually associated with inflammation.

These should subside once the prostatic inflammation is under control.