After treatment have conceived but miscarried, have irregular periods. Did unsuccessful IUI and advised laproscopy surgery. Suggest?

Infertility Specialist
i am married for 5years, after treatment i have conceived but was miscarriage, my period is irregular, i went for IUI treatment for one cycle, it was not successful, doctor advised me to do laparoscopy surgery, now for time being stopped my treatment,

Doctor please explain me what is laparoscopy surgery, if i undergo the surgery, is it 100% sure become pregnant? and is any side effect of doing the surgery?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Laparoscopy may help in conception.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX
As your periods are irregular, ovulation is not occurring monthly which may be the main cause of not getting pregnant.
Laparoscopy is a surgery in which, a small cut is given on abdomen & telescope is inserted in abdomen. Through telescope, surgeon can see inside of abdomen, check tubal patency, & do other surgical procedure as required. In your case it will mostly be ovarian drilling (puncturing ovaries with electrocautery).
Laparoscopic ovarian drilling helps in spontaneous ovulation. Around 50% patients resume spontaneous ovulation & menses become regular. In remaining cases 40% will ovulate with tablets alone & in remaining 10% cases dose of hormone injections required for ovulation is reduced.
Thus laparoscopy helps in ovulation. Chance of pregnancy after laparoscopy depends on patency of your tubes & husband's semen report. If both are fine you have good chance of pregnancy.
There is practically no side effect of laparoscopy, but there are risks of anaesthesia & surgery which are common to all surgeries.
If you are not mentally prepared for laparoscopy right now, you can try one more cycle of ovulation induction with IUI.
Let me know if you have other concerns.