After taking zolpidem feeling very weak and sleepy. What is the reason?

My mom is 84 and first time I gave her Zolpidem she went right to sleep. Tonight I gave her one (10MG) she walked to the bathroom but she could not walk back to her room. Her legs where weak and she became very sleepy and she began to talk out of her head. She saw children....she's sleeping now....I was a little concerned about her weakness and her confusion. She's usually confused everyday just a little.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later

Thanks for your health concerns.

Zolpidem is a medication that ideally should be avoided in the very old (e.g. more than 80 years) mainly because of the side effects you mention: confusion, disorientation, memory problems, paradoxical agitation and the most important risk of falls and injury.

Other more benign options such as low dose dyphenhydramine or trazodone could be options if definitely a medication is needed. Other more natural options would include melatonin at night or teas such as chamomille

Hope this is useful, and glad you asked about side effects. safety first...

Yours truly

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN