After smoke, felt chest tightness in stressed situation. Aspirin good enough?

I've been under stress but I was smoking a cigarette (which I don't do often) and my chest felt really tight. I sat down and it subsided in a few minutes. I took a dissolving aspirin to be on the safe side.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Smoking cigarette occasionally might cause chest tightness, chest pain and shortness of breath. This happens due to the temporary inflammation of the airways that the smoke produces and the reaction of the airways to the carbon monoxide in the smoke. The chest pain might also result from the vasoconstrictor effect of nicotine on the cardiac vasculature compromising the blood supply to the heart.
It is best to avoid smoking to avoid recurrence of any such episodes. You can also get a routine cardiac check up done by your cardiologist to rule out any heart disease. In such instances, taking XXXXXXX breaths of fresh air might help your symptoms.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.