After sexual exposure, undergone HIV PCR DNA Qualitative analysis test. Meaning?

Question

After 26 days of a risky sexual exposure, I have undergone HIV PCR DNA Qualitative analysis test and ECLIA test.
These are the results.

HIV PCR DNA Qualitative Analysis: NOT DETECTED

ECLIA result: NON REACTIVE (0.03)

Reference Range for ECLIA:
Non Reactive     : 0.00 to 0.89
Borderline          : 0.9 to 0.99
Reactive          : >\= 1.00

Can anyone please interpret the results. I did not understand what is 0.03 given in ECLIA result.
Can I be sure that I am free from getting HIV infected?

Please help.

Thanks,
XXXXXX
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for asking.

HIV is sexually transmitted disease, which along with few other STD is the leading cause of morbidity.

As your levels are 0.03, which is well within the normal range of 0 to 0.89; presently you are in negative category.

Please remember that upto 3 months a person can remain in window period and not detected; so you need to redo the tests in. 3 months to be absolutely sure.

Also get yourself checked for other STD like Hepatitis B and C; syphilis etc.

Thanks.

For any more information please let me know.

Follow-up: After sexual exposure, undergone HIV PCR DNA Qualitative analysis test. Meaning? 46 minutes later

Thanks for the reply.
What about the HIV DNA PCR analysis test? I heard that it is extremely accurate 3-4 weeks after a risky exposure. I was told this by a couple of HIV specialists.

Can you please provide your opinion on the same sir?

Thanks,
XXXXXX

Hi

You are right about HIV DNA PCR, but the problem is with the period.

As in your case, it is only 26 days and you already have the reports with you, I assume the test was done around 22-23 days after the exposure.HIV DNA is fairly accurate (95%) after 28 days of exposure. So roughly, there is a gap of one week.

I will advise you to redo either Elisa in 3 months or HIV DNA in a couple of weeks to be absolutely sure.

Thanks.

Follow-up: After sexual exposure, undergone HIV PCR DNA Qualitative analysis test. Meaning? 29 minutes later
Small correction sir if I conveyed you the wrong message. My blood sample was taken on the end of 26th day of the risky activity. And the test was done 5 days later, that's on the 31st day. This is the exact scenario. Please explain.

Thanks,
XXXXXX

Hi

This test has a 95% confidence level for detecting the presence of the HIV virus after 28 days.

So if the test was done on 31 day , you have 95% chance of not having picked the infection.

This is pretty much the maximum level of any test to predict the disease,If want to be doubly sure, can go for it again in 2-3 weeks.