After sex, period pain excessive and uncomfortable while urinating. UTI? What can be done?

I'm 19. I had sex a week ago and i was on my period. after about 2 days, i started to feel pain/uncomfortable when I urinate. i did some research online and it said i might have got urinary tract infection?? What can i do now? is going to the doctor necessary?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Yes, I think you should go to a doctor.

What you have read on the internet is right; there are chances of intercourse during periods, which can increase your chances of getting infection.

Please do the following in meantime:

Take plenty of fluids - this is very important, you may also drink cranberry juice.
consume light bland diet.
Make sure you pass urine quite often.
You can take analgesic like Tylenol after food for pain as per need.

Please visit your antibiotic by your doctor.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to answer any further query that you have.

In case you do not have further to ask, please accept the answer.

Dr. Pragnesh