After sex had itching all over except genitals, sore throat and bumps on elbows and wrist. Took benadryl

Question
hello, i had sex about an hour and a half ago with my partner, we have been together and monogamous for over a year now, and i got n intense itching all over my body, nothing around my genitals or behind, but on my stomach, back, inside of my forearms, and ankle area. also my face (mostly around the ears) and a sore throat (there was no oral sex involved). there are some small bumps on my elbow and on my wrists but mostly it is just red and itchy. i took some benadryl and it seems to be getting a little better but im freaking out now, im not sure what to do, nothing has changed over the past week as far as detergent, body soap, weather, medications (none), or anything else i can think of
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergic

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking.

It seems to be an allergic reaction with generalised itching and rash,the fac that it is getting better with benadryl ( antiallergic medicnes) reinforces the view that it is an allergic reaction.

I do not think so it is related to sex in any way, allergies are very hard to pin point to, lot of people can take months to years to find out what exactly is triggering the allergic reaction.

I will advise you to take anti allergic medicines regularly for two to three days, can use local calamine lotion for relief.

It should settle down quickly , if does not or reoccurs again, you may need to go or allergic testing to look for the cause of it.

Thanks.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Follow-up: After sex had itching all over except genitals, sore throat and bumps on elbows and wrist. Took benadryl 7 minutes later
Thank you very much, it is feeling better however it doesnt look any better, it may be because its only been about a half hour since i took the medicine. if this does not clear up over the course of the next few days is there any way it could be related to an STD? it seems unlikely but i did read on a different forum of people having similar issues after being diagnosed with HSV-1 (or 2) but they were also having lesions around the genitals with the rash and itching being a secondary issue that was believed to be something that had to do with nerves reacting to the HSV. i dont know if there is any truth to this but i read it and naturally i am going to think the worst.

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Relax

Detailed Answer:
You do not have any rash on the genital area so the possibilty of herpes simplex 2 is very rare.

It looks like an allergic reaction which should get better with medicines, although if it get worse inspite of the medicne you have taken, you may have to go to hospital for cortisone injections.