After septoplasty does the bone get deviated again?
User rating for this question
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, the septum may get deviated again. No meds. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. The cartilage (front half) of the septum has a an inherent elasticity and it tends to deviate again after surgery if not removed or if the elasticity is not broken down by incomplete cuts (scoring) across the cartilage. 2. A the bony (posterior part) of the septum is often deviated. This is located far posterior and must be tackled during surgery, or it will persist. 3. These are technical aspects which are easily corrected during a Septoplasty. 4. Fibrosis during healing may also cause the septum to deviate. This is not under the surgeons control. Use of a PDS plate as temporary support may help. 5. Then hypertrophic nasal turbines may also lead to persistent nasal obstruction. 6. Other common complications such as bleeding, infection may delay healing. 7. There are no specific medications to prevent a septal deviation. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions, I will be available to answer them, Regards.
Follow-up: After septoplasty does the bone get deviated again? 5 hours later
Do you mean that chances are rare after the surgery? Currently, I am having no such problem as yet just that when flu or congestion occurs my nose gets blocked and rheum problems for a long time. From the right side it is little deviated but it can be seen by a naked eye. The doctor said that I should have it operated but I'm more concerned by a future side so that I don't waste my money now. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 hours later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. These are very common complications of septal surgery. 2. Many people have a DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum). Most are asymptomatic and do not require medication or surgery. 3. Avoid any septal surgery unless medical treatment fails to give relief and untill the exact cause is identified. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions, I will be available to answer them, Regards.
People also viewed
- Nusing care plan for cesarean section
- How to care for a word catheter
- Motibindu causes and care
- Septum stll deviated after septoplasty?
- What are the chances of deviation of bone after septoplasty
- Is sore throat a side effect of flagyl?
- Nursing care plan for emergency cesarean section
- Is nosebleeds a side effect of eliquis?
- Nursing care plan for post cesarean section
- Is sore throat a side effect of forteo?
- Is sore throat a side effect of imuran?
- After septoplasty does the bone get deviated again
- What is the possibility of bone deviation after septoplasty
- How to feel after septoplasty
- Is sore throat a side effect of humira?