After quitting smoking, experienced weight gain, revolting water taste, thirsty always and sleep problems. Be nervous?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hello doctors,
I'm a 32 year old male that quit smoking about 7 months ago, but has noticed that I'm gaining weight quickly and I'm at the point where being in a active lifestyle is a must to loose weight.. Seven days ago I started getting "wild" symptoms like the taste of water is revolting and most food ends up being rejected . always being thirsty and with nothing to drink without having a bad reaction is making me very nervous. Others are charlie-horses when waking up from "sleep" I have sleeping problems to top it off ... Is there anything that you Doctors can think of that will send me back into the right direction to at least being able to drink water again ?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later

Smoking cessation does cause common withdrawal effects like weight gain, sleep disturbances, and abnormal dreams, altered taste, etc.

Some effects like dry mouth, altered tastes and insomnia can also be due to anti smoking medicines if taken like bupropion.

As of now your situation isn’t worrisome and likely to resolve on its own in a couple of weeks. If it persists or worsens you can consult your doctor or psychiatrist for starting treatment for nicotine withdrawal or behavior therapy.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.