After protected sex felt itching and swollen penis. Advised circumcision. Uderlying cause?

Rheumatologist
Question
Hi Doctor,

I had intercourse with my wife on saturday using condom (due to personal reason) and after that i felt some itching. On sunday morning, my penis has become swollen due to this. I have had this problem before in the past where the doc told me that it might be due to an infection and suggested some antibiotics. But, at that time, i did not use condom. The doc also adivsed me to go for circumvision surgery as i have some foreskin near my glans.
Personally, i dont like to undergo this surgery and i am trying my best to keep my penis hygenic like cleaning my glans twice a day etc.. When i searched in net, i found that this could also be due to the latex persent in condom. Can you please confirm? Btw, i dont have any problem while passing urine etc. Please let me know what could be the cause for this & how this can be prevented in future.

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Latex allergy

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem it seems you are having latex allergy . Although the possibility of infection exists but it would come with fever and lymphadenopathy . It seems that you are having latex allergy .

There is no cause for this some people have got allergy to latex and generally the symptoms are mild like swelling , rash , itching , blisters etc. But in case of repeat exposure it may lead to severe allergy that may be life threatening . So, it is advised to you to avoid further exposure and use alternate method of contraception.

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: After protected sex felt itching and swollen penis. Advised circumcision. Uderlying cause? 3 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your reply.
Is there any better condom available in the market which can be used or what is the alternate method for contraception? Please advise.

Thanks, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
OCP

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

You can choose on the option of taking oral contraceptive pills which be ideal for your situation . It is a safe method .

Dr. Shruti