After pregnancy have dizziness, acidity, sore heads. Have an overactive thyroid. What could be wrong?

May 2013
Hi there, I have had been having problems since I was pregnant last year, I have always felt dizzy, not with it, and very acidy in my stomach like I'm going to be sick, very sore heads and the only thing that brings me around for a bit is a sugar rush. After I had my baby in july last year I still felt this way and found out I have an overactiuve thyroid, however, my levels are now normal and I still feel the same, what could be wrong?
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 46 minutes later
thanks for the query.

During pregnancy woman will have hypoglycemia usually due to increased utilization of glucose for both mother and baby needs, that will lead to dizziness, sick feeling etc.
In pregnancy there will be relaxation of sphincters of gastrointestinal tract because of progesterone effect which will lead to regurgitation of food and acidity.

For continuation of symptoms after pregnancy the causes could be,

-sub clinical hyperthyroidism: though thyroid levels are normal, if they are at the borderline means just below the higher rage, you may still experience the symptoms of hyperthyroidism like fatigue, sweating, shakiness, anxiety, palpitations etc.

-as hyperthyroidism increases body’s metabolic demand this can lead to hypoglycemia which will cause the symptoms you told.
By taking sugar this hypoglycemia might have got corrected to some extent so you felt relief.

-One uncommon cause is, if you are under anti-thyroid drugs they can cause agranulocytosis and aplastic anemia etc which can also lead to these symptoms.

So consult your endocrinologist once and discuss about your symptoms and above possibilities, if he recommends undergo investigations like complete blood picture, blood sugar, repeat thyroid profile etc, which will possibly find out the cause and treatment can be taken according to that.

Meanwhile continue to take nutritious food and good hydration.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.