After my recent pregnancy have diastasis recti. What are the risks?

After my recent pregnancy I think I have diastasis recti. When I lie on my back with my knees bent and feet on the floor I can fell that my abdominal muscles are open about 2cm. Is there any danger in playing soccer and running with this condition? Am I at greater risk of a hernia?
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 45 hours later
Diastasis recti is a condition where the right and left sides of the rectus abdominus (the muscle that makes up the front wall of the abdominals ) spread apart at your midline. Diastasis negatively affects the strength of the abdominal wall and can aggravate lower back pain
Abdominal separation occurs most often in response to the uterus pushing against the abdominal wall during pregnancy

Without treatment, muscular separation can cause some common health problems including: chronic pain in the waistline, back pain and an alteration of your posture due to a lack of abdominal strength and support.
It is said that exercises can correct a problem but i think a proper closure of the defect can be achieved by surgery only.
You must consult a surgeon and discuss with him about the surgery.
You will definitely have problem in playing soccer or running as it would pressure on your abdominal wall.
You definitely have more chance of developing ventral hernia.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: After my recent pregnancy have diastasis recti. What are the risks? 3 hours later
What about future pregnancies? Is it safe? Or must it be repaired first?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
A  diastasis recti can cause two major problems for you.
1.... Separated muscles weaken the support system for the back causing back problems during and after pregnancy.
2.... Separated recti  muscles weaken the support system for your organs. Lack of support of the uterus puts the cervix out of alignment with the vaginal canal. This will make pushing very difficult during labor.

In my opinion you must get yourself repaired before your next pregnancy.
Discuss about this with your doctor.