After mensuration cycle completed had bleeding again, lower abdomen pain and headache. Cause?

Excellent
Question
hi Doctor,

my mensuration cycle completed on 18th Aug'13 but today again it start bleeding. this is first time that in a month mensuration happen twice. also its paining a bit in lower abdomens & headace. Plz suggest
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ovulation bleeding or hormonal imabalance

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the query .

Irregular cycles occur due to hormonal imbalance. That is the most common cause of irregular cycles. Since this has happened just once to you there is no need to panic yet. Thyroid dysfunction is also a common cause .

You have mentioned that you have started bleeding again today. It should be about day 16/18 of your cycle . Mid cycle bleeding or spotting sometimes occurs in some women during ovulation . It last for a day or two. Here the bleeding is much less than a normal period. I suggest you note throughout the day the amount of bleeding you have.

If you have spotting for a day or two don't worry . If you bleed more like a normal period then the cause of the hormonal balance needs to be determined . In such case, I suggest tranexmic acid tablets to my patients to stop bleeding and then order tests esp thyroid to find out the cause of the hormonal imbalance .

Note the bleeding today and do let me know how much it was. I can help you better if we can rule out simple causes like population bleeding.

Follow-up: After mensuration cycle completed had bleeding again, lower abdomen pain and headache. Cause? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX for your advice. i'll update you tomorrow about the condition.

with regards
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Happy to help

Detailed Answer:
Happy to help you Ms Wani. Looking forward rehearing from you .

Follow-up: After mensuration cycle completed had bleeding again, lower abdomen pain and headache. Cause? 48 hours later
hello Dr. XXXXXXX

would like to inform that its still bleeding. flow in low today but stikl having slight pain. kindly suggest.

with regards
Mrs. XXXXX

Brief Answer:
Hormonal imbalance likely

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms Wani

Most likely cause for irregular bleeding is hormonal imbalance. You will need to be tested via blood tests for hormone dysfunction. Check thyroid levels as well.
You also need an ultrasound done to rule out any pathology. As well as a pap smear to rule out ulcers or polyps etc.

First I feel we need to stop the bleeding. Only then investigate for the cause. I usually prescribe tranexemic acid tablets twice a day for 5 days to stop the bleed. You need to consult a physician for a prescription for it. I suggest we stop the bleeding first then try to find out the cause for irregular bleeding.

Commonest cause for irregular bleeding is thyroid dysfunction, polyps, ulcers or cervical growths, fibroids, endometriosis etc.

Follow-up: After mensuration cycle completed had bleeding again, lower abdomen pain and headache. Cause? 4 hours later
thanks a lot Dr XXXXXXX

just want to know if i can visit you for futher follow up. If i will visit a doctor i will have to explain everything again. so i request your goodself to let me know if i can visit u personally.

thanks and regards
Mrs. Wani

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Definitely...if its convenient for you

Detailed Answer:
Of course you can. However,im based in Kolkata...im not sure where you are based. So that may be an inconvenience for you. In case you cannot,im sure any gynecologist will be able to help you.

Follow-up: After mensuration cycle completed had bleeding again, lower abdomen pain and headache. Cause? 36 hours later
hello Dr. XXXXXXX

I'm put up at Delhi so its not possible to visit. now i want to update that bleeding stops 12 hrs prior. also dont have any pain now. i want confirm as usually im having high whitening. so can u suggest anything for it

Brief Answer:
White discharge is common

Detailed Answer:
The white discharge is common. Dont worry about that. It should also stop on its own. Just wash with plenty of water.