After injury have swollen knees, bruises with changing skin color. Should I be worried?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell last week to date and just under my knee was swollen pretty bad and now very badly bruised but the bruise has moved from the top of my shin to my lower leg and have a bruise on the inside of my ankle close to the bottom of my foot. Should I be going to see a doctor for an xray or is this normal It is also very warm to the touch i forgot to add that part
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Likely to subside in 2-3 weeks. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. After an injury, appearance of pain, swelling with skin color changes, tenderness, etc are all indicative of hematoma formation either due to a soft tissue injury or due to a hairline fracture. If you are able to put weight on the leg without much pain, then a fracture is not likely. The shifting of the bruise is due to the shifting of the blood due to the effect of gravity. 1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury. 2. Avoid weight bearing on the foot. 3. Keep the foot elevated on two pillows while resting. 4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor. Use of crepe bandage can prove beneficial. Occasional hot fomentation is recommended. If you have an increase in swelling (not bruise), Tenderness at the site and pain even in slight weight bearing than only you needs to do X-ray. Else, need not to worry. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.