After having intercourse getting headache. Cause and prevention?

Hi Doctor
I am having one problem. after having intercourse i am getting headache, could you let me know cause and what is required for prevention
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take a pain killer before the act....

Detailed Answer:

What you describe is a form of chronic headache. I have been associated with chronic headache patients for a while now and many patients report of triggers that leads to headache. Most patients reported that it is lack of sleep and food that triggers the headache, a small set of people also reported sexual intercourse / masturbation and orgasm as the cause of headache. So you are not the lone person with such a problem.

Chemical mediators and vascular changes are responsible for such headaches. These changes are part of sexual activity and cannot be changed. Therefore I suggest patients to take preventive measure before exposing to the trigger events.

In your case, my advice is to take any pain killer an hour before intercourse. You can try over the counter pain killler (paracetamol 650mg or ibuprofen 400mg) an hour before intercourse. If they are ineffective, you can try prescription NSAID drugs.

Well most of these cases do not need any other treatment. However you will need to see your doctor if the headache is severe, unbearable and you tend to vomit. Moreover I recommend a doctor consult if the headaches are very, very frequent.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.