After having a torso ct scan how long can I wait before trying to conceive?

Question
After having a torso ct scan how long can I wait before trying to conceive.
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 2 hours later
hi,
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your questions, the effective radiation dose from this procedure is about 10 mSv, which is about the same as the average person receives from background radiation in three years. The dose of ionizing radiation you receive to your ovaries from a CT scan of the abdomen is very low and the risk of producing a genetic change in the ovary that may be manifested in your future pregnancies is also very low. Be that as it may, because experimentally we know that the ova ovulated in the first few cycles after an exposure to radiation have a higher risk of a genetic effect, we recommend that women who have received radiation therapy to wait for three cycles before they attempt to get pregnant. For someone who had a CT scan, like yourself, your exposure is far less than some who is receiving radiation therapy to the abdomen. But since waiting three months is usually not a hardship, we advise that to all. If you happen to get pregnant before the three months, the risks are so low that no one should suggest that such a pregnancy was at risk. In the meantime you should realize that the risks that are present in every pregnancy are 3% for birth defects and 15% for miscarriage. This is for healthy women without reproductive or genetic problems in themselves or their family history. I wish you well. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks