After eating the gland below ear at jawbone swells and is sore to touch. Will massaging help?

General Surgeon
after eating the gland below my left ear at my jawbone swells, then it goes down, not away, but down, then if I eat again it swells again. It is sore to touch. If this is a salivary gland blockage will messaging it and heat help?
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Salivary gland obstruction. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. This sounds like salivary gland blockage indeed. It can be caused by stone in the gland ducts which obstructs it. Massage can help in some cases especially if the stone is visible under the tongue. However obstructed salivary gland can lead to an inflammation or even an abscess. That is why it is good to consult laryngologist, have glands ultrasound and in case of stone, incision might be necessary. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.