After eating rice items get burning sensation. Underlying cause?

Hi Doctor,

When ever I eat rice items like dosa, my stomach starts to get a burning sensation. This happens when I am having outside food as well. Could you please tell me why this is happening.

Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably you have gastritis.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic for your problems.

Burning sensation in upper abdomen after eating means some kind of dyspepsia. Dyspepsia can occur because of variety of reasons. It can be gastritis, reflux disease, gastric or duodenal ulcers. These are all benign diseases and can be treated with simple medications.

Since in your case rice gives you problems, my suggestion will be to stop having rice. Also take Tab Pantaprazole 40 mg once a day before breakfast daily. Take it for atleast 3 months if you feel better with this. If the symptoms recur on stopping it or there is no relief at all, then you will need investigations to find the cause. Investigations in your case will include an endoscopy to directly visualize your upper gastro-intestinal tract.

Avoid taking very spicy and oily foods.

If you have any further queries, you contact me again.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal