After eating lower stomach hurts, feels bloated. Have taken probiotics and digestive enzymes. Suggest?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Whenever I eat, no matter what I'm eating, my lower stomach area hurts. I have been very bloated for months, and despite lots of swimming, weight exercises, and walking, I can not lose the big "tire" around my waist, the constant gasey bloat or any weight. I have taken probiotics and digestive enzymes, and nothing helps.
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing in

It seems you have been suffering from collitis and gastritis

Probiotics alone will not help, you might need to go for some ten days of antibiotics and three to four weeks of proton pump inhibitors

May be I would suggest go for a stool examination and that should give a clue to the treatment

Regarding the tyre around your belly, at your age the fat gets stubborn and mobilizing it takes quiet some efforts, so diet along with regular excercise will start showing results after six to eight weeks

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Follow-up: After eating lower stomach hurts, feels bloated. Have taken probiotics and digestive enzymes. Suggest? 12 minutes later
Thank you, Dr Naniksingh,

In searching "collitis", I see that it can be an autoimmune issue. Since my thyroid and parathyroid are "hypo" from autoimmune trouble in addition to MS, I wonder if this is yet another autoimmune reaction.

I will keep up with the exercise to make my pants fit again. I finally reached menopause last fall, at 62 1/2, so maybe that's what's different about my figure!
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 8 hours later

Thanks for writing in again

All forms of collitis are not autoimmune, also one small suggestion, all that is available on net has to be clinically correlated before jumping to a diagnosis

Collitis is simple water borne infection also in its amoebic and infective variant, so need not worry

Yes hormonal changes do affect your body fat deposition

Hope this helps
Wishing you a healthy life ahead