After eating heart rate goes up. Suggest?

Cardiologist, Interventional
hi. i find that after i eat my heart rategoes up. any thoughts
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later

Do you have any other symptoms like sweating, chest pain, palpitations during meal?

And how did you assess your heart rate has gone up? Was it sensation of palpitation or actually counted heart rate either manually or digitally?
Also I would need to know your age and any other illnesses you have before being able to correctly answer this question.

Some time one may just get pounding sensation without actual increase in heart beat. There are situations where heart rate actually go up post postprandial. Commonly seen in post postprandial angina(post meal chest pain), heart failure, thyroid disorders and enterohypoglycemia (post meal dip in blood sugar) and some pancreatic tumors.

In the absence of actual clinical situation I am not suggesting any of these in your case.

Please get back to me with details.
Follow-up: After eating heart rate goes up. Suggest? 20 hours later
i have had a echo stress test. ecg. echocardiogram and cardiac enzyme blood test all within 12 months and a ultrasound of the heart.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 6 hours later
Did it all come back normal. If it was all normal than there is nothing to worry about heart and you should have glucose tolerance test done and work up for elementary hypoglycaemia.
Follow-up: After eating heart rate goes up. Suggest? 5 hours later
Yes everything came back perfect. My blood sugar fasting was 2.7. My doctor has told me not to worry about my heart many times but i wanted a second option
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 28 hours later
Pleased to know all the test came back normal. I think I concur with your doctor that you don't have to worry.

Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wishing you great health