After eating get stomach pains and feel bulky. No gall stones. What else could it be?

General Surgeon
After eating I get stomach pains. Sometimes I baulk and in 50% of these cases I am ill.
I have adjusted my diet to avoid spicey, creamy, dairy, fried, red meat, fruit juice, soy and corn.
I am eating baked beans, green beans, XXXXXXX tea biscuits and dry toast.These minimise but do not eradicate the pain.
I have had a test and been cleared for gallstones.
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later

Possibly you have got hyperacidity which could be due many causes. I am not sure about if earlier you used to eat junk food from outside. In that case amoebiasis is one of the common diagnosis which comes to our mind, which is a common global problem. I would suggest you to go for a routine stool test for ova and cyst.

One more investigation you can go for on consultation with your family doctor is an upper Gastro intestinal endoscopy, which will exclude any organic cause for regurgitation like a hiatal hernia or a gastric ulcer.

In the mean time, you can arrange to keep the head end of your bed elevated so that the food does not stay for long in your stomach. Also you can start taking a proton pump inhibitor and a prokinetic drug as may be suggested by your family physician. Increase the amount of roughage in your diet, and also take a lot of liquids. Apart from this go for a regular walk/exercise, which helps to clear such symptoms.

Hope this helps in discussing with your doctor to arrive at a planned treatment for you.

Good luck.
Follow-up: After eating get stomach pains and feel bulky. No gall stones. What else could it be? 18 hours later
Thank you. I have never eaten junk food.
I will discuss the other points and arrange the tests with my GP.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 5 minutes later
Hi ! Thanks.Let me please know about your follow ups.