After delivery have pain in vagina during intercourse. How to get rid of it?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
Hello Doctor:
Myself and my wife both are active in sexual life, but since more than one and half years we both did not have sex due to her pregnancy and now she is a mother of a 6 months old baby boy via C-section. So when we were trying to have sex, I could not make the intercourse because she was experiencing a severe pain in her vaginal orifice. So doctor please help me, how to get rid of this problem.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dyspareunia. Follow the guideline.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Health Care Magic.

According to clinical presentation, I can assume that your wife is suffering from dyspareunia (painful sexual intercourse) as per medical term.

In this context, most common cause is vaginal dryness which is often reported in lactating mother. Other reasons are Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID), pelvic adhesion (due to C-section), vaginal or urinary infection, endometriosis etc.

Based on symptoms and details provided, I would treat her as follows:

1. Use estradiol vaginal cream to improve vaginal secretions and to take care of dryness.

2. Use artificial lubrication (water based) like KY Jelly, Vagisil gel during sexual intercourse. Lubricated condom is also useful.

3. Avoid mental stress and maintain genital hygiene properly before and after sex (both of you).

4. If she does not feel better with above protocol, visit to her gynecologist for detailed pelvic examination. Investigation like hormonal study, ultrasound scan, urine examination etc may be required.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish her good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
WWW.WWWW.WW